Mindful Digital Reset
Gen Z reclaims focus and balance through digital minimalism
President Donald Trump has said he has been informed that Iran has “no plan” to execute protesters amid weeks of nationwide demonstrations, while stopping short of ruling out possible US military action. Speaking at the White House on Wednesday, Trump said his administration had received information from what he described as “very important sources” indicating that killings linked to the protests had stopped and that executions were not imminent. He added that he hoped the reports were accurate.
The comments come as security concerns rise across the region. The US and UK have begun reducing personnel at the Al-Udeid Air Base in Qatar, calling the move a precautionary measure. Iran also temporarily closed its airspace overnight, prompting several international airlines to reroute flights. The British government has meanwhile shut its embassy in Tehran on a temporary basis, switching to remote operations. Other European countries, including Italy and Poland, have urged their citizens to leave Iran, while Germany has advised airlines to avoid Iranian airspace due to escalating security risks.
Protests initially erupted in late December following the collapse of Iran’s currency but have since evolved into a broader challenge to the country’s clerical leadership. Trump had earlier warned of “very strong action” if Iranian authorities carried out executions of detained protesters. One such case involved a 26-year-old shop owner arrested during demonstrations west of Tehran. His execution, reportedly scheduled for Wednesday, was later postponed, according to family members and human rights groups.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi denied that executions were planned, saying hangings were “out of the question” in the coming days. In remarks to US media, he cautioned Washington against repeating past military actions, referencing US strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities last year. Human rights groups say the crackdown has been severe. Amnesty International reports that Iran remains among the world’s leading executioners, with recorded executions rising last year. The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency claims more than 2,400 protesters have been killed so far, though many cases remain unverified due to restrictions on reporting.
Trump has so far avoided openly backing any alternative leadership in Iran. Asked about Reza Pahlavi, the exiled son of Iran’s last shah, Trump said it was unclear whether Iranians would accept him, adding that the US was “not really up to that point yet” in challenging Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. Iran has imposed a near-total internet blackout since last week, complicating efforts to verify information from inside the country as protests and international tensions continue.